Apples are a good option for satisfying late night cravings.
Here’s why apples are a healthy late night snack:
– rich in fiber
– low in calories
– low glycemic (sugar is released into the blood stream gradually for sustained energy)
– natural sweetness to satisfy sweet cravings
They are highly nutritious, too!
(Photo: quinn.anya )
Apple Nutritional Profile
Apples are rich in nutrients that promote good health and reduce the risk of diseases. They are a good source of:
– vitamins: C, B
– minerals: potassium, calcium, iron, zinc
– phytonutrients: flavonoids esp. quercetin, catechin, phloridzin and chlorogenic acid, all of which are powerful antioxidants
– dietary fiber
Apples are low in saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium.
Apple Healthy Late Night Snack Ideas
While apple alone is a healthy snack, it is even better when combined with protein. This is because protein slows the release of sugar into the bloodstream, thus preventing insulin spike. Here are some ways to enjoy apple as a healthy late night snack:
– apple with peanut butter
– apple with string cheese
– apple with turkey slices
– apple with greek yogurt
– apple sprinkled with cinnamon (this spice helps to regulate blood sugar)
– apple with cottage cheese, cinnamon and favourite nuts
– apple with a handful of your favourite nuts